Monday, May 21, 2012

Top Freedom

I just realized I haven't posted a blog about top freedom for women!
EGADS!
Time to correct that.

We all know I am a pretty liberal person.  It's obvious. I also support top freedom for women and have for a decade.. and I am sick of the social stigmas attached to "toplessness" in women. I am sick of the bullshit lies people put on it. Here are just a few.

She's an attention whore.So, she's an attention whore for raising awareness that it is legal(or should be) for women to have the same bodily rights as men? If men can walk around shirtless on a 90+ degree day, why can't women? Because we are trained to think of it as sexual, private.  We were born without clothes. I'm not saying we should all walk around naked (ewwwwwwww... Penises and vaginal folds o.O;) But really though? Breasts are breasts. Both have two nipples, one set is sometimes hairy. That's the only. freaking. difference.

For a woman to choose to exercise her right to walk around with nothing hiding her away from the world is not her way of saying LOOK AT ME, AND HOW HOT I AM or whatever.. It's more a statement of "This is me. Quit thinking in such restricted, childish tones."

You see, I have something to say about society, sheeple, and essentially being brainwashed. Nature Vs Nurture has a lot to do with how we think about things- and nurture has more to do with how we perceive different things in social situations.  We have been trained over time to think of the following as part of a "Civilized world"-  Covering and/or accentuating the breasts ad rear end, covering it up because it is "naughty".  There are layers upon layers of societal rules, socially regimented actions, so many tiny little things keeping us in our "proper place".  It's absurd, and cheapens us.

To believe that our bodies are just for sex, that our breasts are just there to appeal to males and make them horny cheapens us- not just females, but males as well. For, if males are really so bloody simple-minded that they cannot just see a pair of breasts and appreciate it without wanting to jump over whatever is between them and rape the woman, there is something wrong with our society.

Women have been held on a really awkward pedestal for a very long time. We must find stasis between being sexual creatures (which is odd for those of us who don't experience sexual desire), and being "socially acceptable".  We must please men. Yeah. You read me, that's exactly what this is all about. It's not for women, for our protection or peace of mind. It is for men, and men alone. The fact that women have been trained to view their own bodies as something to be hidden at all costs is depressing.


See, I am of the opinion that human existence is not all about sex. Maybe that's because I am weird, or because I am asexual, but frankly to be told that my body is only here to provide sexual stimulus to another person is absurd. It hosts my brain, which is a very powerful machine. It contains my personality, and provides the ability to carry me from place to place. My breasts are here both for my own joy (Oh come on? Squishy things on my chest? I pat them like drums when I'm thinking. Judge me all you want!) and for my child's nutrition.

A woman choosing to not wear a shirt to make a social statement is no different than someone carrying a sign in a march, aside from the fact that they are just using the most natural "tools" we have- our body.  It is the only thing we are born with. It has nothing to do with "lookitmahtits". Mkay? Mkay. Now that we have THAT settled...


"IT'S DAMAGING TO YOUNG CHILDREN!"

Really??  You know what was damaging to me? Being trained to view my own body as bad. Being told that things are "bad" and "naughty" and being taught to hide myself away.

Kids are smart.  And kids don't tend to get horny upon seeing breasts. Kids don't attach the same lustful thoughts adults do. Parents think kids know things they don't, and end up messing kids up by being afraid of them being "negatively affected"

What am I talking about?  Kids hear lyrics and repeat them, and get in trouble for it.  They learn that sex is BAD and that anything associated with sex is BAD and it ends up becoming repressed issues later in life, all because parents are afraid the child will have sex too early and get pregnant.  A kid seeing a pair of breasts is not going to damage them. You know what messed me up the most? Feeling like I wasn't equal to the boys I knew because when I was like 6-8 I couldn't take my shirt off. I'm sick of people being held to different standards due to their external organs.

And worst... "She's asking to get raped!"/"Oh, as soon as someone responds sexually AS THEY RIGHTLY SHOULD, she's going to whine about sexual harassment"

Seriously?  I don't even know where to start with this one. Oh, I know! First of all, even if I were to address the sexist idea that a woman is asking to get raped because she is expressing the same right to not wear a shirt on a hot day, people would immediately follow it up with the bigger problem- that rape is not taken seriously in our culture.  I can't tell you the amount of times I have heard people say men can't be raped because they always want sex. A) that's absurd. and b) it's extremely insulting to both genders, yet again, to have the stupid thoughts we have about rape and sexism in rape. 

Men can't be raped because they always want sex with an attractive female? Really?? -_-

Now, to the other problem- this is yet again, surprise surprise, a double edged sword for women. If women DON'T want sex, we are either a prude, or a tease, or lying. If we DO, we are a slut and "asking for it".  If a woman wears attractive colors, or tight clothes, and says she was raped, people have immediately jumped to the conclusion that she was a tease but did'nt stop it in time or deserved it.

So it's OKAY to rape people based on their appearance? Ahh, that makes so much sense to me now, thanks for the update!



Seriously. I will be doing this this summer, and I don't care what people say, I am not doing it to mess with children or turn people on.

No comments:

Post a Comment